Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh Crap!

So my friend and I used to joke about extreme weight loss plans.  We imagined a commercial with a thin woman cheerfully saying, "I lost forty pounds and all it took was one bite by this mosquito.  Thanks West Nile!"  

Or, "I lost thirty pounds by eating a single burger.  Thanks e-coli."

After my appointment yesterday, it turns out that, in my case, surgery is inevitable; the only question is when--not if--I should schedule it.  In all of the discussion about the implications of the surgery, talk eventually turned to the lifestyle changes that will come about as a result of being without a gallbladder--gallbladderless?

Apparently, sans gallbladder, your body has a hard time digesting fat.  So if you want to indulge with a piece of cheesecake, dip your crab legs in butter, or enjoy a steak, you run the risk of your body not being able to digest the fatty parts of these culinary delights.  

The unfortunate side effect of this is what the surgeon gently referred to as explosive bowels.

I suppose nothing helps you choose the less fatty options and lose weight quite like the threat of messing yourself in public.

"I lost 15 pounds and all it took was organ removal.  Thanks gallstones!"

6 comments:

What Now? said...

I am sympathetic to your plight but can't help but laugh at the term "explosive bowels". I had no idea the gallbladder was so powerful an organ.

Erin Bennett said...

Oh, you make me laugh out loud. So sorry you have to deal with this, though! When is surgery?

Shannon said...

I guess that's one way to lose weight! You better start eating all your favs now and then you'll just lose the weight after surgery.

Jenny and Mike said...

Wow. If "explosive bowels" was gentle, I'd hate to think what a doctor with a God complex would've called it.....Not sure how appropriate it is to mention but my word verification for this comment happens to be 'floin"

Holly said...

Erin--we're going to try to schedule for the beginning of August.

Shan--I know, I'm definitely going to seize every opportunity to eat cheesecake. It's hard to imagine a life without indulgences.

Jenny--He used words like unpleasant and uncomfortable. Hopefully he's right.

chad.02 said...

do you get to save the stones?