Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fresh Faces


I have been thoroughly enjoying my summer so far, even though I have had to sub for my husband at the alternative school (summer school) for the past few days.  Imagine my surprise when I showed up to class and saw a good handful of some cherubs that I've had in the past when they were middle school students.  I can't believe that I've been teaching long enough to see some of the scrawny, hyper sixth graders fast forwarded and graduating from high school.  


Walter, for example.  I distinctly remember Walter because he was this chubby little sixth grader with a major attitude.  Classified as having Emotional Behavior Disorder, I was nervous that this kid would wind up in jail some day.  I distinctly remember breaking up a fight between Walter and another student (kid made fun of his name), sending him to the principal's office, hearing him screaming obscenities the entire way there, and then learning out that he was curled up in the fetal position inside the principal's office, crying.  Six years later, Walter is about to graduate, talks football, is polite, courteous and has a general peaceful air around him. He gives me hope for some of my most rascally kids.


Speaking of rascally kids, we brought our two in for pics the other day.  Enjoy some updated photos!


Serious attitude, with a twinkle in the eye


Striking a pose




Trying to figure out how to smile on command



Trying to pull off the cool, casual look



Hey, they're both looking at the camera--it's a win in my book

5 comments:

Unknown said...

SUPER cute! Avery looks like such a little lady! I personally like the closed lip smile Caeden cooked up!

Shi Town said...

Avery is so cute! I can't wait to meet her someday. And Caeden is a doll!

I have no doubt that a student of yours will turn out to be just fine...

Erin Bennett said...

Cute pics! A's face in that last one is adorable. :)

chad.02 said...

lol mayhaps 2 posts were in order? when you open the page and see pics of avery, but the post begins about a troubled youth...

creepy!

Shannon said...

I can't believe how much Avery looks like you. What a cutie!