Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Snapshots

My next few posts will be different snapshots of my Christmas. Although this was not the first thing that happened (I'm jumping sequence), this was the thing that made me cry and will go down in the books as one of the most tender Christmas scenes I've witnessed.

Here's the back story.

My younger sister Hannah has been in Germany as an exchange student since the end of July. Since I live two states away from the rest of my family, I'm used to not seeing her. But it was particularly difficult to be home for Christmas without her there. I have two sisters, Abby & Christine, that are younger than Hannah and they are the ones who miss her presence at home on a daily basis.

Well, for Christmas Mom told Abby & Christine that they were getting a really big present. On Christmas day, after all of the presents had been distributed and we were opening them one-by-one, Abby & Christine got to a small, rectangular box. Mom said, "Okay girls, open this one up together, it is your big present." The two girls tore into the box and pulled out this.

Two Ziploc bags full of travel-sized accessories.

Christine asked, "Are we going on a trip?" Abby said, "Do we have bad hygiene?"

While they were trying to figure out their "big present," Mom wheeled in this behind them.


Perched on two new pieces of luggage, one for Abby & one for Christine.

The two of them were quiet for a moment while they registered what this gift meant. Then Abby put her hand over her mouth and said, tearily, "We get to see Hannah? I miss her so much!" No, "Whew whoo, a trip!" Or, "Yay, a week off of school!" Or even, "Yes! Our first time on a plane!" Instead, it was all about seeing the sister that they've been missing.

I was really glad that we were there to see that.

9 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

Oh, for sweet! I don't know your sisters, but I love them!

Anonymous said...

What sweet girls and what an unbelievable gift! Can I come?

Anonymous said...

I love the "Do we have bad hygiene?" reaction.
Was Hannah in on the planning, or was this a surprise for her as well?

Holly said...

She knew about the trip, but didn't plan it. It was all mom. : )

The sisters and me said...

Reading your blog makes me cry again

chad.02 said...

Since they video recorded it you might be able to talk someone into putting it on youtube or something so that it could be posted here

Shannon said...

This brought tears to my eyes again even though I've already heard the story. When do they go?

Hannah said...

awww those girls make me miss home so much right now. My christmas was filled with alot of chocolate but I really just got to sat there and watch my guest familys smiling faces and their family giving them presents like we do at our home... when mom told me this story it made me feel so missed because even though sometimes those to girls will only think of themselves they really they really do care about family first. When mom told me about the plane tickets I was so excited she kept it a secret from me for a long time just until two weeks before christmas. Its sad that not the whole family could come here but I was really happy that I would be able to see anyone in the family come because even though I live in different families here and I should feel at home I really dont and its a strange feeling living somewhere where you just dont quite fit in. Thank you for posting this holly and the pictures made me laugh I wish I could of been there to see their faces.... Love and miss you.

Hannah

Anonymous said...

I've teared up. What a wonderful gift.