Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My sport is your sport's punishment

That's the slogan on the shirt that I wore in the race, and that's exactly what it felt like--punishment. I don't know if it was the lingering chest cold that I have, the fact that the course seemed to be all hills, or if it was just one of those days, but the half-marathon was one rough ride. By the time I made it to the three mile mark, I knew I was in trouble. I still had miles numbering in double digits left to run!

I hit a wall somewhere around the fifth mile which lasted until about the eighth mile. After the eighth mile I somehow kicked it in a little better and managed to complete the rest with less difficulty. I was able to finish the race in about 2 hours and 12 minutes, which isn't too bad.

Some highlights of the race:
  • the two dudes who dressed up as Jamaican bobsledders (being a Halloween-ish race, costumes were encouraged) and ran together inside a cardboard bobsled--how in the world did they keep the exact same pace as each other, or more importantly, how did they run 13.1 miles without using their arms???
  • the lady dressed up as Cruella De'Ville with her pack of dalmatians
  • getting finished with mile eight
  • seeing Aaron twice during the race with Caeden (a little monkey) and Avery (a little bee)
  • running side-by-side with Sarah for a while
  • all five of us who'd been training with each other finishing the race
  • my dad at the finish line, cheering me on (Aaron tried to make it, but the racing gods were against him as he saw me at mile 12 & then couldn't quite get to the end in time)
  • the sweet sip of Gatorade at about mile eight
  • getting a massage afterwards!
All-in-all it felt great to train for and complete the race. Congrats to my gal pals who also did a great job!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Whoo Holly You are looking so great WOW, I need to know your secret to running, and your secret to weight loss, great job, the longest I can run is to the supermarket and back :D

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Holly! No one would ever have known that this was your first half-marathon. Such a natural!

By the way, how adorable is the "Go Mommy!" in the video??? Such cute little kidlets!

Shannon said...

Hey Holls,
Thanks for updating your blog! I guess you only update after a race?? :)

Great job. I admire you.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your determination and perseverance!

I figure in about two weeks you'll all announce your intention to run the full 2009 Twin Cities Marathon. You my be shaking your head at the idea now, but you can't deny that part of you wants to do it.

Ann

The sisters and me said...

Oh my gosh, you did great! Congrats!

Shi Town said...

Great job! I'm so proud...

I've been waiting for an update for a while now, and Shan told me to be patient. I guess all your time has been training, huh?

chad.02 said...

awesome stuff with the video. that's got to be encouraging later. you always wonder what you look like!