Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mother of the Year

So I've alluded to the fact that my two year old son is afraid of bugs. As in, he won't go down the slide if there is a lady bug on it.

Last night we had a bug emergency.

8:00 pm
Me: Good night honey, have a good sleep.
Cade: I need a hug and a kiss.
Me: (to self) What a sweet boy

8:05 pm
Me: What are you doing out of bed?
Cade: (eyes welling) I hear a buzzing sound.
Me: Okay, let's go check it out.
We walk hand-in-hand back to his room, sit on his bed quietly.
Me: Honey, there isn't a buzzing sound, everything is okay. It's time to go to bed.
Cade: (bottom lip in full pouting mode) NNNNNNOOOOOOO! Mom, there's.....(pause while the tears and volume build) BUGS!
Me: Look, there aren't any bugs. It's okay. Go to sleep. (leave room with son whimpering)

8:10 pm
Me: What are you doing out of bed?
Cade: THERE ARE BUGS ON MY FLOOR!
Me: Honey, seriously, there are no bugs. Anyway, bugs don't hurt you (slight lie in some cases). It's time for bed.
Cade: (bawling) BUGSBUGSBUGSBUGSBUGSBUGSBUGSBUGS
Me: Okay, I'll lay down with you for a few minutes.
Cade: (thumb in mouth, nods consent)

8:45 pm
Me: Get back in bed!
Cade: (hysterically) The bugs are getting me!
Me: No they're not. It's the season finale of Dancing with the Stars! Go back to bed! Do you need a spank?
Cade: The bugs will get me!
Me: (exasperated) Let's go. Get in bed.
Leave room with son in an all-out bawl.

9:00 pm
Me: (feeling bad for letting my little boy cry until he is hiccuping so that I can watch DWTS) Sweetheart, it's okay, I promise.
Cade: thebugsthebugsthebugsthebugsaregettingme thebugsthebugsthebugsthebugsaregettingme
Me: Do you want Daddy to lay with you for a few minutes?
Cade: nods and hiccups

9:30
Finally, sleep....

9:45
Huge june bug comes buzzing down the hallway, throwing itself against the light of the television.

5 comments:

chad.02 said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaand cue the "this has been a message from the church of latter day saints"

Shi Town said...

Even though your posts only come about once a month, I always know they are going to be good. I LOL'ed.

Shannon said...

That's pretty funny. Wonder where he got that phobia? And now you know he's not making it up.

The sisters and me said...

Oh I think I remember someone crying with a helmet on her head because mosquitoes where going to get her in bed!

Holly said...

I distinctly remember that high-pitched buzzing. That was traumatic.