Thursday, May 7, 2009

Foiled!

I took a quick trip to Denver last weekend to greet my younger sister who was flying home after being in Germany for a year as an exchange student. Besides an overnight bag, I brought two things with me: my young daughter and my swine flu fears.

Normally I'm not all that concerned about getting sick, however, since I've had kids, my protection factor has reached armadillo or ostrich levels. Traveling in two international airports, knowing that I would probably have to use the public restroom and touch various germy surfaces had me thinking about what types of defenses I should institute to keep my little gal safe and healthy.

Armed with Clorox wipes and hand sanitizers, I meticulously wiped down any surface that either I or Avery touched and doused both of us generously with antibacterial substances. The trip out to Denver went swimmingly; I was confident that I averted any dangerous swine bugs. Denver International Airport was also great as my only task was to deplane and grab my stroller. The flight back to Minneapolis was good too.

All-in-all I was really relieved to have made it through both airports without any whiff of danger.

Until I stepped in the escalator to go from the main terminal down to the pick-up level. I boarded the elevator, pushed the button with my elbow and settled in for my quick ride with only one other occupant.

"Whew," she said. "I just flew in from Mexico. I hope the weather here is as nice!"

3 comments:

Shi Town said...

Ha, ha. That's too funny! I'm laughing at my desk.

Shannon said...

I laughed out loud too. That is too funny.

Jenny and Mike said...

dang