Wednesday, December 17, 2008

To Christmas Letter or Not to Christmas Letter

My absolute favorite part of the holidays is reading Christmas letters. There's just something about seeing a year summed up in a page (Christmas letter etiquette), getting a new photo of the fam, and seeing how cleverly people try to wrap it up with an overall theme. My father-in-law is a pastor, so his house is a Christmas letter magnet. I read every Christmas letter, whether I know the people or not. I know, I know, cut me off....

Anyway, I've been itching to write a Christmas letter myself. I thought that the year after I got married would be a good time to get one going. That season came and went. So did the next few. Then I thought that the year my son was born would be a good time to get one going; lots of news & updates. But I was so busy with him, that it didn't get written that year either. Then I got pregnant with my daughter & life got crazy.

Now life has settled down a little bit and I am once again considering writing a Christmas letter. But, since I haven't taken a Christmas picture of the kids, or finished Christmas shopping, and the fact that Christmas is indeed only about a week away (factoring in mailing time, etc.), I think that this season may pass me by as well. Next year, though?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Definately write one. It's never too late. We still haven't done a picture, but I have written our letter. You did start a blog, you can do it! Plus, I need a pic to hang on the frig.

The sisters and me said...

I love reading Christmas letters too.

But I think Hallmark invented Christmas cards for those of us who always wanted to write a Christmas letter but decided that a card was faster; like a text message, rather than a conversation.

I will be waiting for your Christmas letter in the mail, as Shannon said "it's never too late."

chad.02 said...

maybe you can start a tradition of the late-January letter? the mid-winter letter? valentine's-day letter? just group-text everyone in your phone's contacts "hello merry christmas"???

Erin Bennett said...

Our pictures went out today! No letter, though. That's too much work. :)
I laughed at your comment on my blog. Reminds me of Friends when a few people know that Rachel is having a girl, but they're trying to keep it from Ross. Monica says, "I'm going to be an aunt!" and Joey, attempting to save whatever Monica just gave away says, "Or an uncle!" :)