Monday, September 19, 2011

Assume Strength

The setting: a semi-cluttered, energy buzzing classroom

The characters: thirty-ish seventh graders who are a little on the sixth grade side (official change comes after Christmas)

The challenge: read forty books by the end of the year

Cue gasp!

When I first heard about a teacher challenging her students to read forty books in one year, I had a hefty dose of cynicism. Okay, sure, a few of the advanced students might be able to read assembly-line style, but real "If I have to look in the book for an answer I probably won't die, but why risk it?" students? Get real.

But the more I read about this teacher's program, the more I began to taste the kool-aid. And it tasted gooooood. I briefly considered if it was even possible for students to read that much; maybe I should lower the expectation to twenty.

But then I thought, why not assume strength? Why not assume that they can do it?

So, this year I started off day one of school expecting the students to read. At Open House I told students they'd better bring something to read with them the very first day of school. When I went over the this is how we do a fire drill, this is how you organize your binder, this is how you get to your seat on time expectations, I also mentioned, "And oh yeah, this is how many books you're expected to read by the end of the year: 40."

Some eyes went wide. One kid (advanced math) quickly figured out, "That's, like, one book a week!" Nodding, I assured them they could do it. We would all work on it together, and they would be so proud of themselves by the end of the year.

Some asked what would happen if they didn't reach forty books. I told them that I had NEVER had a student not reach that goal that I had set for them. Technically true. Also, I told them that I wasn't going to tell them what would happen if they didn't do it, because they would. It's not an option not to.

And you know what? They are blowing me away. I've never seen anything like it. We talk about books constantly. Kids give impromptu commercials for books they are reading. They keep a list in their planner of "Hot Reads" so they know what to check out next. Last week I told them we were going to the library as a class.

They cheered.

Every single day I have multiple students coming in to tell me that they just finished this or that book and are anxious to get started on another one.

I don't know if they all will actually read forty books by the end of the year. But I'll bet most of them will. I'll bet ALL of them will read more than they've ever read before. And that's a win.

1 comment: