Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bumping up against stereotypes

Every day as I leave school, I pass a meditation center. In the front of the center is a small plot of foliage, a place where, I assume, members occasionally respite, meditate, and enjoy the simple pleasures of nature.

So was I wrong to do a double-take when I noticed a small, brown, bald man dressed in a bright orange robe of (what I think is) traditional Buddhist garb standing in the garden, not contemplating, but talking animatedly, arms flailing, with his cell phone pressed to his ear?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they meditate inside, and the spot of foliage is where they send people to talk on their cell phones so they don't bug those who are meditating.

That'd be the cell phone equivalent of a smokers' lounge, yes?

- Ann