Thursday, January 1, 2009

Something Old, Something New

Two of my recent favorite things:

Although it's been around for a while, I have rediscovered Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good." It's worth adding to your playlist. Also, "Clumsy" by Fergie gets an honorable mention.

My second favorite thing ("Clumsy" is not officially a favorite thing) is "Slumdog Millionaire." If you only get to one movie this holiday, make sure it's "Slumdog." (Okay, truth be told, I've only been to one movie this holiday and it was "Slumdog," but I'm fairly sure I'd have the same opinion even if I'd seen others.) You may not have heard of this sleeper flick, but it's worth the price of admission. For those of you who don't like hearing about a movie before you see it, stop reading here.

For the rest of you...

It's a story about a man from India who is on the Indian version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" (which they pronounce Milan-are, like the people who live in Milan are). This kid is from the slums and so everyone thinks that he can't possibly know the answers to questions that lawyers, businessmen, and doctors don't know. Throughout the movie he continues to answer questions correctly, while the film flashbacks to the various, mostly tragic, situations that taught him the answers to the quiz show trivia. An interesting juxtaposition is the way the crowd wildly cheers for the main character when he answers each question correctly after the movie-goer has just seen the--usually horrific--circumstances that led up to his answer.

Also, just for kicks, check out "Booty Song" by Tim Wilson on playlist.

2 comments:

The sisters and me said...

What a great story line. I wander what was in the mind of the person who wrote it. I am going to watch for it now.

Anonymous said...

I saw this too and loved it. The people around me from the well-to-do area in Southern CA seemed shocked at the things the boys did to survive. I heard many a gasp from behind me and I hope they realize how lucky they are to not have to do the same kinds of things in their own lives.